Published on August 20th, 2013 | by Jose Vasquez1
10 Biggest Social Media Mistakes in Startup Tech Companies
Most startup tech companies understand the value of a social media marketing strategy, but these mistakes are all too common.
Social media marketing is one of the most powerful and cost efficient inbound marketing strategies out there, and it’s especially helpful for startup tech companies. People love to see solutions to their problems and new technologies on their news feeds, and many companies have skyrocketed to fame because they took advantage of this.
Starting a social media strategy is simple, but running one effectively takes time and careful attention. Avoid these 10 common mistakes when you start to build momentum:
- Only using one platform. Just on Facebook? Think beyond it. Create a presence for every available social media channel.
- Not syndicating content. Make sure you have a solid content marketing strategy, and post your content through those social media channels.
- Selling to your audience. Don’t use social media to sell your product—people don’t want to be advertised to.
- Ignoring comments. When people comment—even if it’s negative—respond quickly and with relevance.
- Not engaging. Engage with other people and other companies regularly by asking questions and prompting discussions.
- Not offering discounts or promotions. People love to see discounts. Offer discounted pricing or special packages for engaging with your brand, and encourage people to share with others.
- Failing to keep a consistent voice. Are you conversational and informal or more professional and informative? Make sure your voice is consistent throughout all your channels and engagements.
- Posting infrequently. If you’re going to run a social media campaign, you have to post consistently. Without a regular stream of updates, you will lose relevance and people will be more apathetic toward you.
- Not offering value. Make sure you have something people want. Maybe it’s just quality content or just regular special offers—but no matter what, you should have something that makes people want to engage with you.
- Having no visuals. People like to see things. Post pictures, videos, and other visual imagery rather than just words.
Read up on these mistakes so you can avoid the major pitfalls of social media marketing. With time, your campaign can evolve to become a great channel for lead generation.