Published on August 22nd, 2013 | by Jose Vasquez1
Top 10 Content Marketing Mistakes in Startup Tech Companies
Content marketing strategies are a necessity for new startup tech companies trying to build a following, but these 10 mistakes can ruin your efforts.
Getting into a content marketing campaign is a cheap, efficient way to build a strong reputation and eventually generate a steady stream of new leads. Startup companies can leverage this strategy to improve their authority and distribute content to a wide audience, but many entrepreneurs jump in without considering best practices.
These 10 mistakes are some of the most common made by startup tech entrepreneurs. Avoid these, and you’ll be well on your way to a solid content marketing campaign strategy:
- Not publishing regularly. If you’re going to start content marketing, you have to commit to the effort. Post at least once a week, no matter what.
- Posting fluffy content. Don’t even bother posting if you’re only posting fluff or sales talk—make sure you’re posting quality content.
- Recycling content. In a similar vein, make sure your content is unique. While it’s alright to borrow from other sources, don’t just copy and reword someone else’s article.
- Failing to syndicate. Push your content out through every channel you can. Use social media whenever possible, and link to your articles on other sites when relevant.
- Not keyword optimizing. Focus on a handful of specific keywords to help your content marketing strategy improve your search engine rankings—just don’t go overboard or you’ll come across as spam.
- Lacking attention-grabbing headlines. Use sharp, concise titles to catch the attention of your readers.
- Having no brand voice. Your articles might fall flat because they have no unique voice. Work on your brand rhetoric to find a suitable, consistent tone for your audience.
- Restricting comments. Let your customers comment on your posts and engage with them when you can.
- Ignoring the community. Listen to your community and pay attention to major influencers. You can learn a lot from those who have already found success through content marketing.
- Not staying relevant. Focus on what your customers want to read, and listen to them if they have criticism. Highlight recent trends as well, in a way that will stay relevant in the long term.
Stay consistent and stay focused, and eventually your content marketing strategy will pay off.